Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can I host the web service in SQL Express?

In WCF, web services can be hosted in many processes other than IIS. Can I
write my CLR extension (web service) to the SQL Express? SQL Server
Enterprise edition supports native web service, but it requires IIS.
Thanks.
HaoHello Hao,

> Can I
> write my CLR extension (web service) to the SQL Express?
If you mean, "can I write an CLR-based function or procedure and host that
in an instance of SQL Express?" then the answer is yes.
If you mean, "can I create an HTTP endpoint in an SQL Express instance?"
then the answer is no. You'll get error 7878 for your efforts.

> SQL Server
> Enterprise edition supports native web service, but it requires IIS.
Um, no, that's the point of HTTP endpoints.
Thanks!
Kent Tegels
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/|||There are two challenges for deploying a full SQL edition as providing web
services.
1. Customers have to buy full SQL.
2. IIS is required.
Please correct me if the above two requirements are wrong.
Therefore it seems that the only work around is to write my own windows
service in WCF to expose web services and have this windows service talk to
SQL Express. Am I on the right track?
Thanks.
Hao
"Kent Tegels" <ktegels@.develop.com> wrote in message
news:18f2bcb184248c93ffc0278bcf5@.news.microsoft.com...
> Hello Hao,
>
> If you mean, "can I write an CLR-based function or procedure and host that
> in an instance of SQL Express?" then the answer is yes.
> If you mean, "can I create an HTTP endpoint in an SQL Express instance?"
> then the answer is no. You'll get error 7878 for your efforts.
>
> Um, no, that's the point of HTTP endpoints.
> Thanks!
> Kent Tegels
> DevelopMentor
> http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/
>|||> There are two challenges for deploying a full SQL edition as providing
> web services.
> 1. Customers have to buy full SQL.
Define full SQL. HTTP endpoints are availble in the fairly cheap workgroup
SKU and higher.

> 2. IIS is required.
HTTP Endpoints DO NOT require IIS on XP, Server 2003 or higher.

> Therefore it seems that the only work around is to write my own windows
service in WCF to expose web services and have this windows service talk
to SQL Express. Am I on the right track?
If you want to use SQLExpress then the basic answer is yes.
Alternatively, you could use Mono to develop an ASMX service and deploy what
ever
HTTP stack you like.
Thanks!
Kent Tegels
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/

No comments:

Post a Comment