Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can I get a link to step-by-step MSDE install instrustions on WIN2

Hi All,
I new when it comes to MSDE but all I need to do is install it and setup an
ODBC data source for an application I run. It's on Windows 2003 Server and no
matter what I do I can't setup an ODBC connection using SQL authentication
because I get error 18456 all the time. I've granted my windows account login
access, the install is NOT set for windows authentication only, and TCP/IP is
enabled. I can login as sa from the command line but not through the ODBC
manager. I'm on about my 5th reinstall and have become very frustrated here.
Can some one point me in the right direction please?
Thanks
That error is a login failure, it surely doesn't help reinstalling. You need
permission to log into your SQL Server.
If you are member of the local administrators group, you shouldn't get this
error.
Other possibilities could be if you have semi-colon in your username (there
is a KB article on this).
Please use your full name when posting to these newsgroups.
Jon Jahren
"ComfortablySAD" <ComfortablySAD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D5C5E09E-BEE4-4BC9-A2E4-4E1BAEFB67BB@.microsoft.com...
> Hi All,
> I new when it comes to MSDE but all I need to do is install it and setup
an
> ODBC data source for an application I run. It's on Windows 2003 Server and
no
> matter what I do I can't setup an ODBC connection using SQL authentication
> because I get error 18456 all the time. I've granted my windows account
login
> access, the install is NOT set for windows authentication only, and TCP/IP
is
> enabled. I can login as sa from the command line but not through the ODBC
> manager. I'm on about my 5th reinstall and have become very frustrated
here.
> Can some one point me in the right direction please?
> Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment