Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can I group stored procedures some way

Hi folks!
I'm working on a report that requires about 20 SPs to retrieve data.
My code would be better if I could somehow create some object
(package?) that would have all my 20 SPs in it.
This way if I have 100 reports it will be easy to manage the SPs in the
database.
I thought I read several years ago there was a way to do this. Is there
still a way?
Thanks in advance.Bob wrote:
> Hi folks!
> I'm working on a report that requires about 20 SPs to retrieve data.
> My code would be better if I could somehow create some object
> (package?) that would have all my 20 SPs in it.
> This way if I have 100 reports it will be easy to manage the SPs in
> the database.
> I thought I read several years ago there was a way to do this. Is
> there still a way?
> Thanks in advance.
I'm about you're actually trying to do here. Are you talking
about packaging your procedures in order to create them on another
database? Can you give an example of what you need?
David Gugick
Imceda Software
www.imceda.com|||"Bob" <Go1369@.Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
news:1109359684.432319.268490@.l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi folks!
> I'm working on a report that requires about 20 SPs to retrieve data.
> My code would be better if I could somehow create some object
> (package?) that would have all my 20 SPs in it.
> This way if I have 100 reports it will be easy to manage the SPs in the
> database.
> I thought I read several years ago there was a way to do this. Is there
> still a way?
>
Are you refering to the stored procedure number?
CREATE PROC [ EDURE ] procedure_name [ ; number ]
. . .
;number
Is an optional integer used to group procedures of the same name so they can
be dropped together with a single DROP PROCEDURE statement. For example, the
procedures used with an application called orders may be named orderproc;1,
orderproc;2, and so on. The statement DROP PROCEDURE orderproc drops the
entire group. If the name contains delimited identifiers, the number should
not be included as part of the identifier; use the appropriate delimiter
around procedure_name only.
This can be used to group procedures, but it's an old and rarely used
feature, and you run the risk of confusing people. I would probably just
use a common name prefix to sort and identify the related procedures.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment