Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can I insert data from a report with RS2005?

Hi All,
Here's my problem:
I need to pull some items into a table report. I have the items grouped
by a key field (AlertID) and a detail the the user can drilldown to for
each item. I'm having trouble with the linking, I try to link this
report to another report that takes the parameters and runs a stored
proc to insert the data for the item (Alert History). Each report works
fine on by itself, but I can't get them to link in anyway, I've tried
Jump to Report and Jump to URL.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Damien Johnston
P.S. I also need know if there is a writable textbox and a checkbox
control available in RS?In general this is a bad idea (trying to write data). Some issues you would
have to deal with are: multi-user, cleaning up data when done, etc.
Given what you say I don't see why you need to do this. If your stored
procedure can figure out the data to insert then why can't you just have a
stored procedure returning the appropriate data to the report. Instead of
drill down you should be using drill through. Drill through is much more
efficient. Have a field that you highlight and color blue. Users understand
that means to click on it. Then use jump to report to call up the report
with the detail information.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"dij0674" <dij0674@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1161026120.846569.113660@.e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
> Here's my problem:
> I need to pull some items into a table report. I have the items grouped
> by a key field (AlertID) and a detail the the user can drilldown to for
> each item. I'm having trouble with the linking, I try to link this
> report to another report that takes the parameters and runs a stored
> proc to insert the data for the item (Alert History). Each report works
> fine on by itself, but I can't get them to link in anyway, I've tried
> Jump to Report and Jump to URL.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Damien Johnston
> P.S. I also need know if there is a writable textbox and a checkbox
> control available in RS?
>|||Bruce--Thanks for the reply, I'll look at alternative methods to solve
the problem.
Here are the details of what's required and what I have in place:
I have a database monitoring app the alerts when an event occurs (like
profiler)
I have specific events that need to be trapped and a historical record
needs to be kept of the original event along with any updates to an
event history field. These events are stored in a SQL DB
I need to be able to allow certain users to access this via some sort
of form/webpage, and update the events they are responsible for with
documentation, such as an email or an uploaded file.
I need to be able have a single parent to many children relationship
for the events. For example, event 1 can be chosen as the parent for
events 2,3,4,5,6 and event 1's event history will become the history
of the child events.
I sure I can get the SQL side of things, stored procs and table design.
But I'm struggling with a front end for my users; I was hoping that
RS had the ability to function in this way.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again,
Damien Johnston
Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:
> In general this is a bad idea (trying to write data). Some issues you would
> have to deal with are: multi-user, cleaning up data when done, etc.
> Given what you say I don't see why you need to do this. If your stored
> procedure can figure out the data to insert then why can't you just have a
> stored procedure returning the appropriate data to the report. Instead of
> drill down you should be using drill through. Drill through is much more
> efficient. Have a field that you highlight and color blue. Users understand
> that means to click on it. Then use jump to report to call up the report
> with the detail information.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "dij0674" <dij0674@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1161026120.846569.113660@.e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Here's my problem:
> > I need to pull some items into a table report. I have the items grouped
> > by a key field (AlertID) and a detail the the user can drilldown to for
> > each item. I'm having trouble with the linking, I try to link this
> > report to another report that takes the parameters and runs a stored
> > proc to insert the data for the item (Alert History). Each report works
> > fine on by itself, but I can't get them to link in anyway, I've tried
> > Jump to Report and Jump to URL.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Damien Johnston
> >
> > P.S. I also need know if there is a writable textbox and a checkbox
> > control available in RS?
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment