Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can I give specify size for errorlog files?

Hi,
Can someone tell how can I give specifically size of errorlog files those
are generate from SQL Server 2000 self? And also I want to know if I can
change the archived errorlog files number from 6 to 10?
Regards,
-ChenYou can change the number of logs using Enterprise Manager by right clicking
on SQL Server Logs and choosing configure. Here you can change the default
of 6 to a higher number. As to the size, you could set up a job to monitor
the size of the current log and call sp_cycle_errorlog if it gets too big. I
don't know of a way to set the max size explicitly.
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
http://www.sqldbatips.com
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"Chen" <Chen@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:36FD6FCB-557E-47B7-B983-2DBC38B423E0@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Can someone tell how can I give specifically size of errorlog files those
> are generate from SQL Server 2000 self? And also I want to know if I can
> change the archived errorlog files number from 6 to 10?
> Regards,
> -Chen
>|||Hi Chen,
As mentioned by Jasper, you can use sp_cycle_errorlog on a frequent basis to
limit the size of the error logs. This way you don't have to worry much abou
t
the size of the file.
At our firm, we run it on a weekly basis.
Thanks
Yogish|||Thanks Jasper and Yogish input info. It's really helped.
-Chen
"Yogish" wrote:

> Hi Chen,
> As mentioned by Jasper, you can use sp_cycle_errorlog on a frequent basis
to
> limit the size of the error logs. This way you don't have to worry much ab
out
> the size of the file.
> At our firm, we run it on a weekly basis.
> --
> Thanks
> Yogish

No comments:

Post a Comment