Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can I force a checkpoint.

Our application is having problems due to what appears to be a flush to disk
during a checkpoint. The flush lasts 2-6 seconds and then every thing
continues on as before with no delay.
I tried creating a job to run every two minutes (just during our stress test).
All the job does is call "CHECKPOINT". Looking at the logs during my stress
tests, there is no difference in the behavior.
So, how can I get the DB to do checkpoints more often to prevent such a
large lump write ?
Or, am I totally off in the wrong direction on this ?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mark.
Notes: all databases are running in simple mode.I am looking at checkpoint pages/sec and pages writes/sec along with
physical read and write.
Also, I am monitoring the log %used on all DB's. I can see that when one of
my DB's hits
70% it appears to be related to this dump which seems to go along with the
docs for
checkpoint and db set to simple.
I am 100% sure it is not related to a query. It might not have anything to
do with a checkpoint,
but when the log file grows to 70% and gets reset to 20% I can see this huge
write and
I get a major backup. I see a similar relation on another DB.
Should I just shrink the log file, will this help decrease the number of
pages to write?
It appears to be true on a different DB with a smaller log file the writes
following
the truncation of the log is very small in comparison, does that make sense?
Thanks,
"Brian Moran" <brian@.solidqualitylearning.com> wrote in message
news:Oz3lJpYUDHA.484@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> how do you know for sure it's related to checkpoint? What counters are you
> basing that on? CHECKPOINT will run the checkpoint process so I'm not
really
> sure what you'e asking... you can run it as frequently as you want...
> also... I might take a look at SQL Profiler to see if there is some other
> query that is perhaps related to the IO... it might not be checkpoint
> related...
> --
> Brian Moran
> Principal Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
>
> "Mark DeBusschere" <developer@.line-4.com> wrote in message
> news:uTEjGgXUDHA.1552@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Our application is having problems due to what appears to be a flush to
> disk
> > during a checkpoint. The flush lasts 2-6 seconds and then every thing
> > continues on as before with no delay.
> >
> > I tried creating a job to run every two minutes (just during our stress
> test).
> > All the job does is call "CHECKPOINT". Looking at the logs during my
> stress
> > tests, there is no difference in the behavior.
> >
> > So, how can I get the DB to do checkpoints more often to prevent such a
> > large lump write ?
> >
> > Or, am I totally off in the wrong direction on this ?
> >
> > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mark.
> >
> > Notes: all databases are running in simple mode.
> >
> >
>|||Hi Mark,
My name is Michael and I would like to thank you for using Microsoft VAP
newsgroup.
I will update you later. In the mean time, if you have any other useful
information, please feel free to let me know.
Regards,
Michael Shao
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment