Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can I install both version of SQL server 2000 & 2005 on my Computer ?

I now know only I can install both .Net 1.1 and 2.0 on one computer

but I don't know, Can I do it on SQL Server ?

Please advise me...

You cannot have SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 running in the same computer.

Cheers

Al

|||Yes you can. SQL Servers run under their own process, and different instances maintain their own memory space. You're fine to run both on one server, though I dont recomend it for a production enviroment.|||

When you try, there is an error from the installer! How do you get around that?

Cheers

Al

|||

albertpascual:

When you try, there is an error from the installer! How do you get around that?

Cheers

Al

EDIT

You can if you install 2000 before 2005, companies run different versions on the network as of last year you can still download 6.5 from MSDN. And yes I have run both in one box during the SQL Server 2005 roll out.

|||Hi Albert, I have a machine which first has SQL2005 installed and then I added SQL2000 to it, without any problem. Do you remember what's the error you got from the installer?|||

Yes, something like you cannot install SQL 2005 when another instance is already installed.

The other instance was SQL 2000, and that happend to me at the SQL 2005 CTP version. I have never tried with the release version. Are you telling me that now is all possible?

|||

albertpascual:

Yes, something like you cannot install SQL 2005 when another instance is already installed.

The other instance was SQL 2000, and that happend to me at the SQL 2005 CTP version. I have never tried with the release version. Are you telling me that now is all possible?

The CTPs were bad one CTP between beta 2 and 3 cost me a hard drive and the OS that came with it, back then it takes a while to find the Management Studios all that changed with the final product, you can even get a child to install it but I have not tried it. it is very easy now. But 2000 remains ignore Windows questions just answer those relevant to you.

|||

You are correct, took me a long time to finish the installation of SQL 2005 CTP, the release version was fast and easy on a clean computer. I already removed all my SQL 2000 from any computer, I only use SQL 2005, love the speed!

I am glad that people can install both in the same machine now. Some day I may try that instead of just upgrading it.

Cheers

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment