Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can I give specify size for errorlog files?

Hi,
Can someone tell how can I give specifically size of errorlog files those
are generate from SQL Server 2000 self? And also I want to know if I can
change the archived errorlog files number from 6 to 10?
Regards,
-Chen
You can change the number of logs using Enterprise Manager by right clicking
on SQL Server Logs and choosing configure. Here you can change the default
of 6 to a higher number. As to the size, you could set up a job to monitor
the size of the current log and call sp_cycle_errorlog if it gets too big. I
don't know of a way to set the max size explicitly.
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
http://www.sqldbatips.com
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"Chen" <Chen@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:36FD6FCB-557E-47B7-B983-2DBC38B423E0@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Can someone tell how can I give specifically size of errorlog files those
> are generate from SQL Server 2000 self? And also I want to know if I can
> change the archived errorlog files number from 6 to 10?
> Regards,
> -Chen
>
|||Hi Chen,
As mentioned by Jasper, you can use sp_cycle_errorlog on a frequent basis to
limit the size of the error logs. This way you don't have to worry much about
the size of the file.
At our firm, we run it on a weekly basis.
Thanks
Yogish
|||Thanks Jasper and Yogish input info. It's really helped.
-Chen
"Yogish" wrote:

> Hi Chen,
> As mentioned by Jasper, you can use sp_cycle_errorlog on a frequent basis to
> limit the size of the error logs. This way you don't have to worry much about
> the size of the file.
> At our firm, we run it on a weekly basis.
> --
> Thanks
> Yogish

No comments:

Post a Comment