Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can anyone help solve this puzzle?

I have one SQL instance that is giving me problems: everytime I restore a
database to it, the database has many consistency errors.
I have 3 servers I can test with: Server A, Server B, and Server C. Server
C is the one that's giving me problems.
I run a DBCC CheckDB on a database on Server A, then back it up. If I then
try to restore that backup on Server C, the backup works but DBCC CheckDB
reveals numerous errors. However, I can take that same backup file and
restore it on Server B, and everything is fine.
I can spend lots of time with my corrupt database on Server C and using DBCC
CheckDB (repair_rebuild or repair_allow_data_loss) and dbreindex to finally
get the database to report that it has no consitency errors. HOWEVER, if I
then try to back up that database and restore it on either Server A or
Server B, the restore works ok, but the database again is full of
consistency errors. Restore/backup works with no problems whatsoever
between Server A and Server B.
All of these problems apply not only to backup/restore, but also if I try to
just detach from Server A (or B) and attach to Server C.
I have sees several errors in the SQL log, on Server C, 604 (and some
others). I wish I had the complete list but I have re-installed SQL and
lost the logs.
I thought maybe it was an problem with the install, but as I just mentioned,
I completely re-installed on Server C, but the problems continue. To this
point in the current logs, there are no errors.
At this point I am thinking hardware, but the network guys insist that it
has passed all tests. Next I am going to run SQLIOStress (
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...&NoWebContent=1 )
and see if that turns anything up.
Oh, info on the servers:
Server A: SQL: 8.00.194 RTM Enterprise Edition OS: Windows 2000
(Build 2195 SP3)
Server B: SQL: 8.00.760 SP3 Developer Edition OS: Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition (Build 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048)
Server C: SQL: 8.00.760 SP3 Enterprise Edition OS: Windows 2000
(Build 2195 SP4) NOTE: the new install has no SQL service packs applied, no
difference in behavior
Any help/suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated. Please post back
here so that maybe any other unlucky soul that has this problem can benefit
from the smart folks out there.
thanks,
Greg
gjleclair AT hotmail DOT comGreg,
Step 1: install SQL Server service pack 3a and Win2K service pack 4 on
server A.
Step 2: see if you are still having trouble.
I wouldn't be so sure it's server C with the problem. Server A, which
has no SQL Server service packs installed, created the backup.
You mentioned briefly a problem detaching from B and attaching to C. If
that is a problem that is reproducible from scratch without any contact
with Server A, post the details of what's going on with that.
There are hardware issues that can cause this kind of problem that might
not be called hardware problems, such as the one described in
http://support.microsoft.com:80/sup.../q268/4/81.asp, but I
doubt you'll get much help asking why things aren't working on an
non-updated server.
SK
Greg wrote:
quote:

>I have one SQL instance that is giving me problems: everytime I restore a
>database to it, the database has many consistency errors.
>I have 3 servers I can test with: Server A, Server B, and Server C. Server
>C is the one that's giving me problems.
>I run a DBCC CheckDB on a database on Server A, then back it up. If I then
>try to restore that backup on Server C, the backup works but DBCC CheckDB
>reveals numerous errors. However, I can take that same backup file and
>restore it on Server B, and everything is fine.
>I can spend lots of time with my corrupt database on Server C and using DBC
C
>CheckDB (repair_rebuild or repair_allow_data_loss) and dbreindex to finally
>get the database to report that it has no consitency errors. HOWEVER, if I
>then try to back up that database and restore it on either Server A or
>Server B, the restore works ok, but the database again is full of
>consistency errors. Restore/backup works with no problems whatsoever
>between Server A and Server B.
>All of these problems apply not only to backup/restore, but also if I try t
o
>just detach from Server A (or B) and attach to Server C.
>I have sees several errors in the SQL log, on Server C, 604 (and some
>others). I wish I had the complete list but I have re-installed SQL and
>lost the logs.
>I thought maybe it was an problem with the install, but as I just mentioned
,
>I completely re-installed on Server C, but the problems continue. To this
>point in the current logs, there are no errors.
>At this point I am thinking hardware, but the network guys insist that it
>has passed all tests. Next I am going to run SQLIOStress (
>http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...&NoWebContent=1 )
>and see if that turns anything up.
>
>Oh, info on the servers:
>Server A: SQL: 8.00.194 RTM Enterprise Edition OS: Windows 2000
>(Build 2195 SP3)
>Server B: SQL: 8.00.760 SP3 Developer Edition OS: Windows Server 200
3
>Standard Edition (Build 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048)
>Server C: SQL: 8.00.760 SP3 Enterprise Edition OS: Windows 2000
>(Build 2195 SP4) NOTE: the new install has no SQL service packs applied, n
o
>difference in behavior
>
>Any help/suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated. Please post back
>here so that maybe any other unlucky soul that has this problem can benefit
>from the smart folks out there.
>
>thanks,
>Greg
>gjleclair AT hotmail DOT com
>
>
|||Thanks for the reply, Steve.
I understand that applying the service packs would make the most sense as a
starting point...but the powers that be do not want me to do that since
"that's only one that's working".
The reason I didn't think it was server A is that all interaction between
Server A and Server B (backup/restore, attach/detach) work fine. Any
interaction between Server B and Server C result in the same consistency
problems.
As an update the SQLIOstress failed out with a series of these errors:
quote:

605885 and found 601789 in sector 15. Probably a torn page.[QUOTE]
Followed by this:
[QUOTE]
--[QUOTE]
encountered[QUOTE]
--
I'm guessing that we have a hardware issue. Any thoughts? It seems like it
is up to me to "prove" that the hardware is having issues but I'm not really
sure what those errors indicate.
Once again, any help is appreciated.
-Greg
"Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> wrote in message
news:%23bYZld26DHA.2556@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...[QUOTE]
> Greg,
> Step 1: install SQL Server service pack 3a and Win2K service pack 4 on
> server A.
> Step 2: see if you are still having trouble.
> I wouldn't be so sure it's server C with the problem. Server A, which
> has no SQL Server service packs installed, created the backup.
> You mentioned briefly a problem detaching from B and attaching to C. If
> that is a problem that is reproducible from scratch without any contact
> with Server A, post the details of what's going on with that.
> There are hardware issues that can cause this kind of problem that might
> not be called hardware problems, such as the one described in
> http://support.microsoft.com:80/sup.../q268/4/81.asp, but I
> doubt you'll get much help asking why things aren't working on an
> non-updated server.
> SK
> Greg wrote:
>
a[QUOTE]
Server[QUOTE]
then[QUOTE]
DBCC[QUOTE]
finally[QUOTE]
I[QUOTE]
to[QUOTE]
mentioned,[QUOTE]
this[QUOTE]
>http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...t.microsoft.com

:80/support/kb/articles/q231/6/19.asp&NoWebContent=1 )
quote:

2003[QUOTE]
no[QUOTE]
back[QUOTE]
benefit[QUOTE]
>
|||Greg,
It sure sounds like a hardware issue, but I don't have any great
suggestions. If you haven't already looked, see if these Knowledge Base
articles help at all:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/sup...s/q231/6/19.asp
(and the articles it references at the bottom)
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;268481
It is sounding more like it's server C and not the service pack, but
you never know... It does seem a little strange that restore fails so
easily, yet you have to work to get SQLIOstress to error out.
SK
Greg wrote:
quote:

>Thanks for the reply, Steve.
>I understand that applying the service packs would make the most sense as a
>starting point...but the powers that be do not want me to do that since
>"that's only one that's working".
>The reason I didn't think it was server A is that all interaction between
>Server A and Server B (backup/restore, attach/detach) work fine. Any
>interaction between Server B and Server C result in the same consistency
>problems.
>As an update the SQLIOstress failed out with a series of these errors:
>
>
>605885 and found 601789 in sector 15. Probably a torn page.
>
>Followed by this:
>
>
>--
>
>encountered
>
>--
>I'm guessing that we have a hardware issue. Any thoughts? It seems like i
t
>is up to me to "prove" that the hardware is having issues but I'm not reall
y
>sure what those errors indicate.
>Once again, any help is appreciated.
>-Greg
>
>
>"Steve Kass" <skass@.drew.edu> wrote in message
>news:%23bYZld26DHA.2556@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>a
>
>Server
>
>then
>
>DBCC
>
>finally
>
>I
>
>to
>
>mentioned,
>
>this
>
>:80/support/kb/articles/q231/6/19.asp&NoWebContent=1 )
>
>2003
>
>no
>
>back
>
>benefit
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment