Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can anyone explain what the pre-execute phase is doing for OLE DB data sources using sql com

I have a project which spans multiple servers and aggregates literally billions of rows of data into a much smaller and manageable result set which I store on another server. There are two stored procedures which take up 99.9% of the processing time. Each one of these SPs are estimated to run over 3 hours a piece (gives you an indication of how much data there really is). With in this SSIS package, I have two control flows, one for each SP. When I run the SSIS package from VS2005, I can see that there is a pre-execute phase which takes about an hour abnd a half to complete, and then move on to executing. My question is, what the heck is this, and what is it doing? I know it validates the sql in the procedure, but does it actually run the SP during that pre-execute phase? If it does, is there any way to get around that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Have tried to open a SQL profiler to see what is going on on the DB server during that period?

Rafael Salas

|||Yes, I have, and I did not see anything that stood to me as a procedure call to that SP. I just want to know why it takes so long to pre-execute.

No comments:

Post a Comment