Friday, February 24, 2012

Can any help with getting me started with Analysis Services?

I am a newbie to AS. I am trying to follow the simple tutorial http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170400.aspx to get started.

However, I do not see an AdventureWorks DW in my SQL Server Management Studio. I have an AdventureWorksDW (all in one word) but not AdventureWorks DW ( in two words).

I was searching to find how to get the AdventureWorks DW database installed and found http://www.ssw.com.au/ssw/KB/KB.aspx?KBID=Q1286726. Followed its instructions but still there is no AdventureWorks DW though the process went OK.

Am I missing something? I ran <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\ and double-click SqlServerSamples.msi and still do not have AdventureWorks DW (standard edition or enterprise edition).

I am running SQL Server 2005 with SP2 on Windows XP developer edition.

Thank you much in advance.

Yep you are missing the database download and installation and you need to attach it in managment studio. So in the link below download AdventureWorksDB x86 CI(case insensitive) and AdventureWorks BI CI that is the datawarehouse version. You also need Reporting services installed to view the reports for that IIS is required. Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E719ECF7-9F46-4312-AF89-6AD8702E4E6E&displaylang=en

|||

Thanks, Caddre. I ran the .msi you pointed out and the deployment of the solutions seemed to work better. I am still confused as to whether or not AdventureWorksDW and AdventureWorks DW Standard Edition are two separate and distinct databases?

The documentation mentions:

The OLAP database (Adventure Works DW) cannot be installed unless the data warehouse (AdventureWorksDW) database is selected for installation. The analysis services project, Adventure Works DW must be deployed before the Adventure Works DW analysis services database can be accessed.

Does Adventure Works DW( in my case it is Standard Edition) show in SQL Server Management Studio? If yes, I still don't see it.

Thanks

|||

Nothing have changed since I last used that database in 2005 it is a Datawarehouse database so it comes with 26 tables it is in Management Studio if you attached it, yes you must attach it before it will show up in your Management Studio. So now go to the location below and verify the MDF and LDF files then go to Management Studio and attach the database. To use those samples after you atttach the database go back to the SQL Server folder location below and click the solution file and VS will open the whole solution for you. SQL Server edition is not relevant. Hope this helps.

Location of MDF and LDF

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

Location of Samples

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90

|||

Greetings Caddre,

My error... I finally realized that I could view the AdventureWorks DW Standard edition by connecting to Analysis Server (instead of Database engine). It shows in SQL Server Management Studion when I connect to Analysis Server.

In AdventureWorks DW Standard edition , I have data source, data source view, cubes, dimensions, mining structures, roles and assemblies( no tables).

Anyway, thank you for getting me on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment